Birth (Second of Three)

June 24th 2010 I found out I was pregnant with my second child. During this pregnancy I was extremely sick for the first 4 months. I had started out at my heaviest weight ever and ended the pregnancy at the same weight.

For some reason I really wanted a girl this time. The want was so strong that I cried almost every day for a week prior to our gender scan. I can’t explain why the want was so strong, but it was real. When I went to our gender scan, and a little baby vagina appeared on screen, I lost it and sobbed for joy.

Towards the end of my pregnancy I started my typical labor induction routine. After a week of it, I gave up for the most part. At 38w5d I ate some labor cookies that I had made. They are actually quite delicious if you don’t mind a bit of spice.

During this time my husband was working about 6 hours out of town, and was ready to come home whenever I went into real labor.

The next morning I woke up to my show. Nothing else happened that day. Sunday morning I had contractions again for a few hours and then they petered out. Finally Monday morning contractions got regular and I felt confident that this was the beginning of “real” labor.  Around noon I went to get checked at my midwife’s office.  My own midwife wasn’t due to return from her vacation for a few more days so I saw a student who was being overseen by another midwife in the practice.

I was told that I was 4cm and not really in active labor. She told me I could walk around days like this, so I would just have to wait and see. I went home to relax and see what would happen. I was trying to figure out when my husband should come home. We decided that regardless he should start making his way home.  I spent the afternoon with netflix laboring through contractions until around 5pm when I decided the tub would be more comfortable. I called my mother to come over to help with my son so I could concentrate on labor. She came over and sat with me through contractions and kept the little dude occupied. Around 6pm I noticed they were getting more and more uncomfortable so I called my midwife student again to tell her what was going on.  I wasn’t making a lot of noise so she told me to get out of the tub, relax for an hour, have something to eat and call her back.

As I got out of the tub, the pain became more and more intense. My sister and my brother-in-law both showed up to help with my son so my mother could accompany me to the hospital. I tried to eat something but just couldn’t do it.  I called her again and she finally agreed to meet me at the hospital.

When I arrived at the hospital (at 7:45pm), the midwife ran into us in the parking lot. She had seen the chair my Mom had wheeled out for me and was encouraging me to walk.  I was in so much pain that walking ANYWHERE was out of the question for me.

After I was wheeled upstairs, the student checked me and was quite surprised to find out I was already 8cm. I was so ecstatic about reaching 8cm without any pain management I shouted “I’m in transition!! I can DO this!”.  I  At this point my husband was just getting on the ferry and about 4+ hours away as it was also snowing out.

A few minutes later they decided to break my water and I immediately was feeling the urge to push.  I had never felt anything so intense before.  I knew I was getting close to the end. As intense as the contractions were, the breaks between them were like little moments of heaven.   I had called my husband and my best friend Sarah to let them know how far along I was and that I was starting to push soon.

As I started pushing, I started to worry what kind of tearing I would experience this time.  3rd degree tears with my son were aweful and this time I didn’t have any pain medication.  In the heat of the moment I decided to just push the baby out and worry about the damage after.

A few pushes later, at 8:36pm they placed my daughter on my chest.  I sobbed like a baby myself. Then I was elated.  I couldn’t believe I had just pushed a baby out of my vagina with no interventions what-so-ever!  I called my husband and cried telling him that she was hear, and then cried again realizing that he was not yet.  After that his phone died and I would just have to wait until he arrived,

Then I remembered…  I asked my midwife “Ok, give it to me straight… What’s the damage down there?”.  I was fearing the worst.  She examined me and said that she thought I could probably use ONE stitch.  I lost it!  I couldn’t believe that not only had I done it med-free, I had given birth and only required ONE stitch.  I started saying “I feel like freakin SUPERwoman!”.  I probably repeated that phrase a dozen times, and then a dozen more when I was able to use the washroom unassisted.

By 10pm everyone had pretty much cleared out of the hospital room, and it was just me and my little girl waiting for my husband to arrive,  It felt like he was taking so long that I started to call hospitals and police services for the communities on the way home to make sure he hadn’t been in an accident.  AT 1:30am he arrived just as I was being patched through to an RCMP detachment.  Turns out he was just driving slower to stay safe because of all the snow falling.

Immediately that night I knew I wanted to do that again, but my husband had only agreed to two children.  I would have some work to do if I wanted to have another one!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s